- Full and Part Time Learning
- Part-time Day and Evening Courses
- 17th Edition Course (including 2011 Update)
- Arts and Visual Communications
- (BASE) Borders Academy of Sporting Excellence
- Borders Business Programme
- Digital Media Computing NC and Interactive Media HNC
- Early Education and Childcare HNC (part time)
- eBook Prospectus
- Electrical Engineering - HNC
- English for Speakers of Other Languages – ESOL
- Hair and Beauty Professional Practice
- Modern Apprenticeships
- National Training Programmes
- Open and Flexible Learning
- Order a Prospectus
- Professional Development Awards
- School Plus
- Short Courses
Early Education and Childcare HNC (part time)
For those who want to qualify to work at practitioner level.
Theory of Child Development and Learning, The Early Years Curriculum, Children's Rights and the Promotion of Language and Literacy. Students carry out a substantial part of this course in an actual childcare setting. Work placement is necessary to complete the full award. Some units are also available to study on a stand alone basis.
Part-time 72 weeks over 2 years. Year 1 36 weeks (one evening per week).
It is recommended that applicants either have 2 Highers at level C or above, one of which should preferably be English or have successfully completed an SGA in Higher Early Education/NC in Childcare/SVQ 2 in Early Years subjects. Preference will be given to applicants with passes at Communication at SCQF 6. Applicants without formal entry requirements may be selected after individual interview and receipt of positive references. Applicants may be required to complete a preparatory course as a condition of being placed on this course. Students will also be required to complete a PVG (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) form.
Year 2 HNC Early Education and Childcare
Successful completion of the Early Education and Childcare course would enable students to apply for undergraduate teaching programmes in Primary Teaching and BA Childhood Studies. The PDA Childhood Practice is also offered as a likely progression. There are career opportunities as Nursery Nurse and Play Leaders. The qualification allows registration with the Scottish Social Services Council as an Early Years Practitioner
For further information please contact:
Spaces still available on some courses
A limited number of spaces still remain available on some courses commencing August 2013.
Ask a Question
If you have any comments or enquiries about Borders College.