The Rural Skills department is located at the Newtown St Boswells campus.
This site is ideally situated for access to the countryside, with approximately ten acres of farmland for college use within a short walk of the campus.
The site has excellent links with the land-based sector and uses this special relationship to allow students access to the relevant local business, charities, large estates and farms in the Borders Region, Northumberland and nationally.
This gives a realistic, practical working environment which is essential for the delivery of rural skills training. The section is well-equipped with an animal care facility, tractors, ATVs plus training track, machinery, small plant, workshops, a large modern glasshouse, access to local riding schools and Riddell Estate. In addition, there are modern classrooms equipped with videoconferencing equipment and up to date laptops for student use. There is an extensive portfolio of short courses available within the rural skills sector. These short courses are delivered from the Newtown St Boswells Campus.
Full-time rural skills courses are usually three days per week in college, involve lots of practical sessions, and are suitable for learners of all ages. Course applications and enquiries can be made through the main college website. Campus tours are by prior arrangement- contact Borders College and ask for the curriculum and learning manager for rural skills.
Address: Borders College, Newtown St Boswells, Scottish Borders, TD6 0PL
- All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV)
- Animal Care
- British Horse Society Riding and Road Safety
- Brush Cutting, Strimmer Clearance Saw Operation and Maintenance
- Certificate of Competence in the Transport of Animals by Road (Short Journeys)
- Chainsaw Maintenance Cross-cut and fell
- Deer Management
- Forestry NPA
- Fox and Rabbit control by Snaring
- Horse Care
- Land-based Service Engineering
- Mixed Farming Modern Apprenticeship
- Mole Control
- Stihl Saw Operation and Maintenance
- Tractor driving for Beginners