Employer Engagement and Work Placements
The College aims to continue to work closely with local employers to ensure we are meeting the skills and learning needs of businesses and individuals in the workforce, and making an effective contribution to enhancing the employability of those individuals.
How can we help?
Our well-managed employer engagement is essential in both developing and strengthening links with our local industries. This area of our provision focuses on expanding the College’s links with industry by student work placements and work experience and by investigating ways of developing innovative partnerships with employers in the area of programme design, and delivery.
At present the College offers placements in the areas of:
- Care & Childcare
- Horse Care
- Animal Care
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Painting & Decorating
- Beauty Therapy
- Motor Vehicle
- Rural Mechanics
Placement provider contribution is invaluable to developing our student’s employability skills. Before committing to a work placement the following points should be considered.
- To able to meaningful work experience
- Prior to the placement, set time aside to meet with the student and establish their suitability to fit in with you and your team
- Be prepared to commit resources, i.e. supervise and mentor the work placement student throughout their time in your establishment
- Provide an induction for all students on their first day
- Complete a pre-placement check supported by a member of the work placement team in relation to the health & safety safeguarding etc.
- Update the work placement team on the student’s progress within your establishment ( mid-year and on completion of placement)
- Work experience is a great opportunity for students to apply their learning, improve knowledge and understanding, and plays a vital part in developing the essential skills for entering the world of work.
- Borders College have students from many areas of study looking for work placements now – why not see how our creative and motivated students can complement your business.
- (Please note the College can provide appropriate Insurance cover where necessary)
Do you have vacancies to advertise?
Why not take advantage of our free advertising service through our social media channels we are happy to support businesses to recruit from our newly qualified students at the end of each academic session.
We welcome & value employer input into our curriculum. Employer forums allow industry to influence our curricular offer and develop the future skills needs of our region
If you would like the opportunity to influence the programmes the college offers in your vocational area please do not hesitate to contact us
Client initiated projects & work place challenge projects are an excellent way of giving students the experience of producing work for a real purpose, working within realistic conditions and time constraints and adapting to changing client requirements.
In some cases this is a required element of the course, in others, it is simply good practice. Whatever the case, if you have, a project you think maybe suited any of our wide range of courses please contact Borders College.
Get in touch
You can contact us by using this form or by emailing email@example.com. You can also call us on 01896 662600.