Foundation Apprenticeships are a work-based learning opportunity for senior-phase secondary school pupils.
Lasting one or two years, pupils begin their Foundation Apprenticeship in S5 or S6. Young people spend time out of school at college or with a local employer, and complete the Foundation Apprenticeship alongside their other subjects like National 5s and Highers.
Successful Completion (of SCQF Level 6 Foundation Apprenticeships) leads to a qualification at the same level of learning as a Higher and can lead to progression on to a job, such as a Modern or Graduate Apprenticeship.
Foundation Apprenticeships are recognised as entry qualifications by all Scottish colleges and universities.
Foundation Apprenticeships available from Borders College
- Automotive Skills – Nat 4 – Schools
- Construction Craft & Technician – NPA – Schools Link
- Creative & Digital Media – Year 1
- Creative & Digital Media – Year 2
- Social Services and Healthcare
- Social Services Children and Young People
Find out about the course you are interested in and apply online
You'll gain industry knowledge and experience while you're still at school.
There are 12 Foundation Apprenticeship subjects to choose from at SCQF Level 6 and 3 Foundation Apprenticeship subjects at SCQF Level 4/5. All apprenticeships have been designed in partnership with employers.
Choose a Foundation Apprenticeship and you'll quickly discover the benefits they bring:
- Gain an industry-recognised qualification that’s the same level as a Higher
- Learn skills that employers want and strengthen your CV or personal statement
- Recognised by all Scottish universities and colleges.
- Choose the apprenticeship you'd like, as part of your senior-phase subject choices
- Spend time with a learning provider, such as a college
- Work on industry projects supported by employers
- Get assessed on the work-based learning you do
- By completing the apprenticeship you will achieve a qualification and develop skills employers want
Work with S3-S6 pupils to help shape the next generation of talent
Find your future employees early
Get involved with Foundation Apprenticeships and you’ll get early access to future talent, by providing school pupils with real experience of the world of work. This helps them to achieve an industry-recognised qualification and helps you to develop your talent pipeline.
- Get early access to future talent
- No direct costs to you as an employer
- Fast-track talent development in your business
- Grow your business with the skills you need
- Develop your staff as coaches and mentors
Get in touch
To fin out more about Foundation Apprenticeships from Borders College please contact us.